North Wind Quilters Guild
Block of the Month
Instructions for making each months block will be provided in the monthly newsletter. There will also be a demonstration/workshop on the morning of the 2nd Tuesday of each month.
Each month you make two or more blocks. One block goes into the Block Of The Month drawing at the General Meeting and the other block is available to purchase the day of the drawing by the winner of the blocks. If the blocks are not purchased by the winner we save them to sell at the Quiltique at the Quilt Show.
We are also asking members who do participate with the BOM program to make another block or two to help out Community Service. There is no limit to the number of blocks you can make each month to donate to Community Service! Each and every block is much appreciated. As you know our Guild is all about Community Service.
Every few months there will be a patriotic block in either red, white and/or blue fabrics and the other months will be a block for a child or adult. Every month the BOM chairperson will specify if it is a Patriotic block or a block for a boy/girl or adult.
Any extra blocks that are turned in will be used to make "Quilt of Gratitude" quilts or other quilts to be distributed by our Community Service Chair.
For more information about the BOM program you may contact the Block of the Month Committe Chairperson: Susan Hogan. or Meta Bonnell.
Block of the Month for August 2018: Diamond Tile
Finished block size is 14"
Blue Print: 1 square - 6 1/2 x 6 1/2" (A)
Red Print: 8 rectangles - 2 1/2 x 6 1/2" (B)
Gold: 4 squares - 2 1/2 x 2 1/2" (C)
White on White print: 2 squares - 8 x 8" cut diagonally twice to yield 8 triangles (D)
All seams are 1/4" wide.
1. On opposite sides of the blue print square (A), join a red print rectangle (B).
2. Join a gold square (C) to each end of a red print rectangle (B). Repeat a second time for a total of 2 units.
3. Join the units made in step 2 to the center square on the opposite sides of the red print rectangles already attached.
You now have a unit with a center blue square surrounded by 4 red print rectangles and 4 gold squares.
4. Join a white triangle (D) to the long side of a red print triangle (B). The point of the triangle matches the right end
of the rectangle but the triangle will be shorter than the rectangle. This is correct. Repeat on the other side of the
red print rectangle. This will for 1 corner unit. Repeat 3 more times for a total of 4 corner units. See photo above.
5. Join a corner unit to each side of the center square unit. Trim of the excess red print rectangle from each corner.
Block of the Month for September 2018: Diamond Tile
September's block is a repeat of August with a scrappy theme so dig into your stash!