North Wind Quilters Guild
Block of the Month
Instructions for making each months block will be provided in the monthly newsletter. There will also be a demonstration/workshop on the morning of the 2nd Tuesday of each month.
Each month you make two or more blocks. One block goes into the Block Of The Month drawing at the General Meeting and the other block is available to purchase the day of the drawing by the winner of the blocks. If the blocks are not purchased by the winner we save them to sell at the Quiltique at the Quilt Show.
We are also asking members who do participate with the BOM program to make another block or two to help out Community Service. There is no limit to the number of blocks you can make each month to donate to Community Service! Each and every block is much appreciated. As you know our Guild is all about Community Service.
Every few months there will be a patriotic block in either red, white and/or blue fabrics and the other months will be a block for a child or adult. Every month the BOM chairperson will specify if it is a Patriotic block or a block for a boy/girl or adult.
Any extra blocks that are turned in will be used to make "Quilt of Gratitude" quilts or other quilts to be distributed by our Community Service Chair.
For more information about the BOM program you may contact the Block of the Month Committe Chairperson: Susan Hogan. or Meta Bonnell.
Block of the Month for September 2018: Diamond Tile Scrappy Block
Finished block size is 14"
FocusPrint: 1 square - 6 1/2 x 6 1/2" (A)
Dark: 8 rectangles - 2 1/2 x 6 1/2" (B)
Medium: 4 squares - 2 1/2 x 2 1/2" (C)
Cream or Beige: 2 squares - 8 x 8" cut diagonally twice to yield 8 triangles (D)
All seams are 1/4" wide.
1. On opposite sides of the focus print square (A), join a dark rectangle (B).
2. Join a medium square (C) to each end of a dark rectangle (B). Repeat a second time for a total of 2 units.
3. Join the units made in step 2 to the center square on the opposite sides of the dark rectangles already attached.
You now have a unit with a center focus square surrounded by 4 dark rectangles and 4 medium squares.
4. Join a cream/beige triangle (D) to the long side of a dark triangle (B). The point of the triangle matches the right end
of the rectangle but the triangle will be shorter than the rectangle. This is correct. Repeat on the other side of the
dark rectangle. This will for 1 corner unit. Repeat 3 more times for a total of 4 corner units. See photo above.
5. Join a corner unit to each side of the center square unit. Trim of the excess dark rectangle from each corner.
Block of the Month for October 2018: Road to California
The Color Wheel- As this block only has 2 colors we can have some fun! Pick any 2 colors that are next to each other on the color wheel.
For example: red/orange, orange/yellow, yellow/green, green/blue, blue/purple. purple/red
You can use either solids or prints.
1. Four 4 1/2" squares of fabric #1
2. Two 5" squares of fabric #1 cut these squares on the diagonal to make 4 triangles
3. One 4 1/2" square of fabric #2
4. Two 5" squares of fabric #2 cut these squares on the diagonal to make 4 triangles
1. Join 1 triangle of each fabric together to make 4 squares. Trim to 4 1/2" square.
2. Join squares into rows of 3 according to the picture. Be careful to orientate
your HST correctly.
3. Sew the rows of 3 squares together.